Another exciting milestone to celebrate other than starting solids is teething, although it can be a difficult and painful one for your baby. While it’s thrilling for parents to see their beautiful set of pearly whites developing, your baby can experience fussiness and pain. Most babies get their first tooth at around 6 months, but the age range can be different by a few months too. And these teething symptoms such as drooling, biting, crying, coughing, refusing to eat, night waking, ear pulling, cheek rubbing and generally feeling irritable can start to occur few months before the first tooth appears. So what you can do to help your baby relief teething pain? Answer: baby teethers!
Other than gently massaging your baby’s sore gums (with clean hands, of course!) and giving your baby something cold to nibble on (like frozen wet washcloth), you may want to consider giving them teethers, also called teething toys. Teethers are a great alternative for them to have something safe to chew on. It is helpful as the gumming action gives counter pressure to baby’s new teeth which can help to soothe and relief the pain.
When purchasing baby teethers for your baby, it is important to keep a few things in mind as teethers come in a range of different styles and materials.
- Avoid necklaces, bracelets, and jewelry as they can break apart and become choking hazard. They can become a strangulation hazard too when your baby wraps them around their neck.
- Avoid teethers containing batteries as the batteries, battery cap or their screws can pop off and become choking hazard.
- Avoid liquid-filled teethers as they can break when your baby bites them and release potentially unsafe liquid.
- Look into materials and contents. Since it will be in your child’s mouth, you want to be absolutely sure it doesn’t include any toxic materials. Look for a teether that has no BPA, PVC, Phthalates, or toxic paints and check any for allergens or irritants.
- Don’t let your baby play any toy in bed or unsupervised, this includes in the back of the car.
- Look out for mold as mold flourishes in damp conditions, so teethers can be a breeding ground for them! Ensure to choose teethers that can be cleaned and disinfected easily.
Here are our best picks for baby teethers:
#1 Best-selling teethers
#2 Silicone teether
#3 Entertaining Teether
#4 Freezable Teether
#5 Toothbrush Teether
#6 Cloth Teether
#7 Food Teether